5. Juni 2009

Good mornnggnggshshzstaphzzshzzztaptapzsshshhsgzzzgzgh.....

Unbelievable. Awoken to drilling. Sharp, penetrating and, worst of all, impossible to localize. Repetitive but completely irregular making it absolutely nerve wrecking. The walls, the ceiling, the floor, my bed, my head: all these could be the origin of the sound which was not just a sound but a palpable physical disturbance. The very air molecules shuddering with every grating, vibrating drill.
Construction? Destruction? Mass disruption? The drilling was broken by an irrhythmic hammering. Even higher pitched and almost more irritating because of its unpredictability. It was tinny and cut off but still so unforgiving.
Unacceptable! I say, inexcusable! Curses! And curses again! And where to throw these worthless sounds? From what direction was this unendurable noise even coming? What untenable objections to a maddening, maddening, maddening sound!
Anytime this would be irritating, but at 8 in the morning? Torture.
Unable to stay one more moment I ran out of the apartment and began to pace the hall like a crazed dog—hunting, ears rigid, for the possible source. Upstairs? Downstairs? Up. I went two floors on the lift. 22nd floor. The halls were literally shaking. So was a very livid I.
By the 24th floor I couldn’t tell if it was louder or not. Still in an underslept dreamstate I gave up and went back to bury my head between pillow and bed. I started to imagine that a giant was taking a mega enormous drill down the whole side of the building At some point the drilling died down, but not before strange dreams emerged in which I was still restless, hunting on the balcony of the highest floor, for the source. Barging in and out of people’s private rooms, in and out of vibrating halls until giving up and retiring once again, in an endless cycle, back to my bed; only to be importuned myself by barging dream people coming in to meddle with my dream windows.

1 Kommentar:

Sophie or a hat gesagt…

they best cut that out before my arrival and entrance